|"A minor ache emanates from behind your eyes."||You have eaten a dead anssk and have gained the sixth sense ability.|
|"A strange energy whirls around you."||You read a scroll of wonder, and some or most of the items on the level have been brought to life.|
|"Eating lava is unhealthy."||You just ate a jagrèdin or an anti-jag.|
|"Everything is slowing down."||You read a scroll of wonder, and your speed has increased. (Not noticeably, incidentally.)|
|"Someone is watching you."||?|
|"The forest transforms."||You read a scroll of wonder, and all trees have been turned into retchweeds.|
|"The humidity increases."||You read a scroll of wonder, and all ground, floors, and corridors have been turned into mud.|
|"Time is passing you by."||You read a scroll of wonder, and the speed of all creatures on the level has been increased or decreased to match your speed.|
|"Tiny seeds burrow into the ground and trees sprout."||You read a scroll of wonder, and all space in a 5x5 radius around you has been transformed into trees.|
|"You envision wands as transferable."||You have acquired the skill of fennling through drinking a potion of mystery, but you already had it.|
|"You feel a thousand angry voices in your head."||You read a scroll of wonder, and the friendly/hostility of all creatures has been flipped.|
|"You feel as though you will live forever."||You read a scroll of wonder, and you have gained death ray resistance.|
|"You feel strangely cool."||You read a scroll of wonder, and you have gained cold resistance.|
|"You feel strangely warm."||You read a scroll of wonder, and you have gained heat resistance.|
|"You have awakened something evil."||You read a scroll of wonder, and you have created an anti-jag.|
|"You hear a fleeing banshee."||(unconfirmed) You had a ghost level available on the map you just entered, but the game decided to not load it (or deleted it instead).|
|"You hear a noise."||
|"You hear the distant swaying of plants."||You read a scroll of wonder, and all trees have been turned into retchweeds... except there aren't any trees.|
|"You momentarily glimpse a lake of tormenting fire."||You've lost your fire resistance.|
|"You picture a strange new dimension."||You read a scroll of wonder, and you have gained the ability to teleport at will.|
|"Your body has a strange sheen to it."||You read a scroll of wonder, and you have gained resistance to ray/breath.|
|"Your legs! They're gone!"||You've quaffed a potion of mystery, which has taken away your legs.|
|"Your mouth feels dry."||You read a scroll of wonder, and all potions, mud, quicksand, lava, and water on the current level, including potions in your pack, have been dried up.|
|"Your skin feels slick."||You read a scroll of wonder, and you have gained acid resistance.|
|"Your stumps throb."||You're legless, you've quaffed a potion of mystery, and the option it chose was to remove your legs.|
- "A chin strap provides little protection."
- "A glass ocarina is a travelling device."
- "A magician may transmogrify worthless objects into valuable ones."
- "A scroll of enchantment will change the very nature of some objects."
- "A wooden flute may pacify hostile creatures."
- "All are stalks of wheat before the power of the scythe."
- "An artifact has been lost in the depths of Slaeter's sea."
- "An artifact is lost in the Wasteland."
- "An item of great power is buried in the crypt."
- "An orange cube will propel its owner to the Wasteland."
- "Archmages destroy and genocide entire classes of items."
- "Attacking non-hostile creatures is immoral."
- "Bifrost is the flaming rainbow bridge."
- "Bifrost lies at one end of the river Vid."
- "Dead lower dwarves and draugrs should be destroyed."
- "Do not attempt to navigate the ocean."
- "Do not consume too many speed potions at once."
- "Do not overindulge in potions of mead."
- "Do not step off Bifrost."
- "Dyslexia cures dyslexia."
- "Eitri desires a platinum anvil."
- "Empty vials may be filled with non-viscous liquids."
- "Enchantment scrolls have profound effects upon cubes, ocarinas, and anvils."
- "Eternal life may not be all that is hoped for."
- "Gods and powerful creatures are not affected by scrolls of extinction."
- "Golden togs are for formal occasions only."
- "Hurl a black gem to garner the life force of an enemy."
- "It is written that three humans must perish to placate the anger of Vidur."
- "Loki finds the wand of amusement aptly named."
- "Magic cookies restore the tiny."
- "Misreading alters the effects of scrolls."
- "Mixing potions randomly is dangerous, yet rewarding."
- "Mortals cannot slay gods."
- "One may always climb up the rope of Lazlul."
- "One may breathe life into paper figures by hurling them ."
- "Only one who can swim or lower tides will uncover the artifact in Slaeter's sea."
- "Orange powder can increase visual range."
- "Powerful beings may not be tamed with scrolls of alliance."
- "Psionic power is amplified by diamond needles."
- "Red bags protect items from extreme temperatures."
- "Reempower wands with blessed recharging."
- "Ritual sacrifice to Vidur is always rewarded."
- "Save summoning scrolls until you are in need of aid."
- "Scyld fears he who possesses the green stone."
- "Strange tunes emanate from enchanted instruments."
- "The air of Niflheim is deathly cold."
- "The black sword of Geirrod is an unpredictable weapon."
- "The Crossroads are pathways to all that exists."
- "The crypt is located in the west at a depth of thirty meters."
- "The diverse colors of sky at the Crossroads represent alternate paths of travel."
- "The entrance to the Halls of Grynyr is located inside of Nidavellir."
- "The gods have a storehouse of plenty within Asgard."
- "The immoral are always punished."
- "The land of Chaos contains a powerful artifact."
- "The orb is a doorway to Limbo."
- "The portal to Mimer's realm lies ten meters below ground, in the northeast."
- "The proper place for an Eye is a small pit."
- "Those who aspire to greatness discard lodestones."
- "Those who become plants have one turn to avoid losing the ability to think."
- "Time may not be stopped outside of Midgard."
- "To become more powerful, polymorph yourself."
- "Vidur's temple is located in the southern sector at a depth of thirty meters."
- "Wands of armoring are limited in effect."
- "You may have up to five eyes."
- "You may have up to sixteen fingers."
- "A barbed whip causes weak creatures to submit."
- "A dead cockatrice is a powerful weapon."
- "A disperser helm protects against psionic attack."
- "A grappling hook is a means of travel for those lacking legs."
- "A misread scroll of blessing enhances all potions and scrolls possessed."
- "A phaseblade is best used when phasing."
- "A potion of phasing allows the drinker to pass through all substances."
- "A sai maims its victims."
- "A silver mantle protects the wearer from magic."
- "A speed of 60 is often fatal; a speed of 70 is always fatal."
- "A spongy mass is the bane of a seer."
- "All roots are thought to be beneficial."
- "An amulet of holding is worthless."
- "An ironworker can create a runesword if he has enough raw material."
- "An ivory staff is especially effective against undead creatures."
- "Archon the Great is reputed to have possessed a strength of 19."
- "Basilisks destroy mirrors."
- "Bleeding of the eyes is a common side effect of new-found powers."
- "Bless identification scrolls; they then reveal the true nature of all things."
- "Blessed curing repairs most health problems."
- "Clay lumps are thought to provide protection against petrification."
- "Cold is the only thing which slows or destroys red ooze."
- "Consumption of the poisonous glard may inoculate the eater against toxins."
- "Death wands have very long ranges."
- "Do not strike a ranger directly; he will only summon more of his ilk."
- "Fingers and eyes may be gained from a fume."
- "Flesh of the fire giant, minion, sandiff, and jagrŠdin will burn weak stomachs."
- "Green mushrooms are widely sought after."
- "Holy water increases luck."
- "Kill bartoks from afar."
- "Knowledgable men caution against blindly eating mushrooms."
- "Legendary heroes were said to gorge upon the corporeal forms of wraiths."
- "Mirror shields reflect rays and gazes."
- "Mottled mushrooms are delicious but can have harmful after-effects."
- "One cannot write without a stylus."
- "One must wear gauntlets to safely touch a cockatrice."
- "Rangers dispense justice."
- "Red mushrooms temporarily impair vision."
- "Speckled growths are well-known to berserkers."
- "The flesh of bats and stalkers can addle a man's brain."
- "The flesh of the air ghola causes a susceptibility to heat."
- "The following creatures are poisonous: dreg, serpent, phantom asp, and phausq."
- "The insane and disturbed can be cured with a single bite of ivy creeper leaves."
- "The mighty warrior, Liebgar, ate sauteed hel dragon and breleor before battle."
- "The numberless ranks of the faleryn are swollen by those who eat faleryn leaves."
- "The powers of the seers are enhanced by a ritual feast of raw anssk."
- "The rays which emanate from wands may bounce unpredictably."
- "The skin of the fire dragon can withstand all trials by fire."
- "The tools of the blacksmith are tongs, anvils, fire, and metal to smelt."
- "The wight, stun worm, gorm, basilisk, cockatrice, and fyleisch are inedible."
- "These beings seem unaffected by wands: sentinel, wizard, sorcerer and draugr."
- "Those who eat knilbs and nymphs can never again be sure of their whereabouts."
- "Throw a grappling hook to climb out of mud, pits, and quicksand."
- "Throw a grappling hook to climb over rubble."
- "Throw a net to entrap monsters."
- "To withstand the winter freeze, feast upon ice spheres and ice dragons."
- "Use the wand of armoring upon yourself."
- "Werewolves fear silver."
- "White mushrooms can cleanse the body as readily as a week-long fast."
- "Wield a wand of restoration in case of foliation."
- "Without knowledge of alchemy, mixing potions is unpredictable."
- "Yellow mushrooms are thought to affect a man's strength."